The region of Borshchiv is situated in the south-eastern part of the Ternopil Oblast in the Ukraine. Borshchiv belongs to the small group of towns in the Ukraine that were founded on the basis of Magdeburg rights (in 1692). Since 1991 it has been the administrative centre of the Ternopil Oblast.
The locality was first mentioned in 1456. Until the dissolution of the Soviet Union, the town belonged to Ukrainian SSR and from 1991 to Independent Ukraine.
The Borshchiv region is inhabited by over 74 thousand people. Its area covers 1 thousand square kilometres and includes Borshchiv town, which is the residence of the region’s authorities, the urban settlements Skała Podolska, Melnycia Podolska, and 69 rural settlements. Today’s Borshchiv is a town with a regional role as the farming, industrial, social, cultural, educational, administrative and tourist centre. The main segment of its industry is the processing of agricultural products and the manufacture of food products. 110 farmsteads operate in the region as well as a couple odf hundred private enterprises, including the “Borshchivcukier” sugar refinery, the “Janke Ukraina” fruit processing plant (with foreign capital), a dairy, a spirit plant, and the “Tutón Impex” tobacco mill.
The most valuable monuments of the town include the Church of the Holy Trinity from 1763, the Orthodox Church of the Dormition of the Holy Virgin Mary from 1886, the statue of Adam Mickiewicz unveiled in 1886 and the Wysuczka castle situated 4 km to the west of the the town.
ul. Gruszewskogo 2
48-700 Ternopilska Oblast